Flexibility, patience, and resilience – these are the words that come to mind when I think about how we have needed to navigate these unprecedented times in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. As Indiana moves into Stage 4 of the reopening plan on June 14, the library also plans to move into the next phase and reopen our doors on Monday, June 15. We will continue to offer curbside and delivery service.
As we all know, the world is a different place now than it was in March when we initially closed the library building. While we are excited to be able to open the library and allow patrons to come back to our building, we remain committed to providing access in a safe manner for both our patrons and library staff. Because of this commitment, you will notice some changes when you visit us starting June 15.
Here’s what is different:
- Reduced hours – in order to allow adequate time for staff to clean and disinfect each day, the library will operate under reduced hours. We will be open Monday – Thursday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Social distancing is the new expectation. We ask that patrons who choose to visit us in person keep their visits short and engaged in utilizing library services. We ask that you maintain the recommended minimum distance of 6 feet between yourself and others.
- Meeting rooms and small study rooms will be unavailable.
- Most of the seating has been removed and what remains is placed in a manner that allows for physical distancing.
- Library staff are wearing masks and frequently washing or sanitizing their hands. We recommend that patrons visiting in person would also wear a mask while they are in the building. Masks will be available for patrons who do not have one and hand sanitizing stations are located throughout the building.
- All of our service points will have plexiglass counter shields installed.
Here’s what is the same (or better):
- Friendly, helpful staff ready to assist you with your library needs.
- Access to a huge selection of library materials through the Evergreen Indiana Consortium. Access the online catalog at evergreen.lib.in.us.
- WiFi available throughout the building including the parking lot.
- Access to electronic services including ebooks, downloadable audio books, movies, music, online learning and more. You can find all of our online resources on our webpage at http://www.nchcpl.org/discover/online-resources/.
- Access to new services including curbside pickup, contactless home delivery and online programming. Visit our website www.nchcpl.org for more information.
As we move through the reopening phases, be sure to check our website and blog for more detailed information on our services (nchcpl.org/news) and follow us on social media for information and service updates. You can find the library on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and now YouTube.