The New Castle-Henry County Public Library is seeking a part-time children’s services
assistant who will provide friendly, high quality customer service to Library patrons in
the children’s department. Some responsibilities are:
● Provides assistance to patrons in using and locating materials in the children’s
● Charges and discharges books and other library holdings in and out at the
children’s circulation desk and collects fines using an automated circulation
● Replaces books and other library holdings on shelves according to numbering
● Assists in assuring accurate library shelving by shelf-reading and re-shelving of
materials, as needed.
● Answers telephones and provides routine information or refers and transfers
● Oversees the use of computers in the children’s department.
● Assists with programming as requested.
This position requires an individual with a customer service mindset and the ability to
serve staff and patrons in a professional, helpful, cooperative, and courteous manner.
Candidates must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and possess a
good command of the English language in order to interact in a professional manner. In
addition, candidates must have expertise and proficiency with computers and
computer-equipment, and must be able to successfully use basic office applications and
the Internet, including databases and social networking sites.
● High school diploma or equivalent required
● Library experience preferred but not required
● Must be able to lift 40 pounds, walk, climb stairs, bend, stoop to the ground,
reach above one’s head, stand for long periods of time, and must be capable of
communicating with and assisting children
Starting Rate: $8.50 per hour
Hours: Schedule will vary, evenings and weekends included; 20-28 hours per week